Thursday, September 18, 2008

Befriend me on last.fm

I've been using this last.fm site for awhile now, and I must say it's pretty cool.

Basically it keeps track of what you're listening to, on the site and otherwise, and then takes that information and gives it to the NSA to determine whether or not you're a terrorist.

In addition to that it also lets your friends know what you're listening to, recommends music, and lets you listen to an ungodly amount of music legally for free. There are no ads, and you can fast-forward through the tracks, or ban them outright.

There was a time (college) when I would wantonly download every album by any artist I had remotely heard of. Thus I became fairly well versed in musicology. However since my conscience caught up with me a few years back, my exposure to new music has dwindled.

Along with KEXP and WUFM, last.fm is my solution for staying hip. Bonus, it turns out I'm still pretty much with it. I know a good 75% of the tracks on the Hiphopatitis B playlist.

So check it out, add me as a friend, check out my profile and I'll do the same.

Final note, last.fm can show you all kinds of reports, top artists, top albums, et cetera. I think my list of top artists since I joined last.fm proves that I have nothing to worry about in the hipness department:

  1. Randy Newman ~ 473 plays
  2. Steely Dan ~ 376 plays
  3. Beastie Boys ~ 287 plays
And yes, those really are my top three artists. Join last.fm and see for yourself.

1 comment:

Matt said...

last.fm is awesome.