Friday, April 18, 2008

Obama/McCain voters, bane of Democracy

Jenny and I have a long-running conversation where we try to place blame for the failed state of our Democracy. I'm constantly tempted to blame it on those in power: politicians who manipulate the public into voting against their interests; corporations who warp elections with their outsized pocketbooks; and the mainstream media who ensure that the level of discourse never threatens to become substantial.

I don't want to paraphrase Jenny too much, but her point, which I've never successfully argued against, is that these situations persist because most people are just willfully ignorant. I think there's a lot of truth to that. Most people would rather watch Tila Tequila than read even a little. Even if we expose ourselves to more sources of information, we won't have an informed public until we can think critically, too.

Anyway, nothing makes me angrier and sadder than when I overhear the following sentiment (which I do frequently) from a loyal Obamaniac:

"If Hillary wins the nomination, I might vote for McCain, or just sit this one out."
There's so much idiocy inherent in that statement that I'm not even sure where to begin with it, but I'll try to translate it into something that looks like a coherent (though still idiotic) thought. Here is my approximation:
"I don't really know much about the issues. I'm not very informed, but hey, don't blame me. The mainstream media keeps feeding all this personality-based drivel. I'm too lazy to do anything about it, so I'm just going to decide based on that. So anyway, I'm supporting Obama. He doesn't have any serious policy differences with Hillary, but I like him better for vague reasons. However, if Obama doesn't make it, I'll pick someone totally different. If the so-called issues mattered very much to me, then obviously I would vote for Hillary, but since they don't, I'll vote for McCain. He's very popular with the media too, so he must be a really swell guy."
That's what I imagine these people are thinking. This article in Salon does a nice job of describing the phenomenon, although it fails to identify it as a serious problem.

Anyway, here are some other things such an Obamanatic might say:
  • I really want a steak, but if they don't have that I'll fast.
  • What movie should we watch, Requiem for a Dream or Bambi?
  • I'm going to ask her to marry me, but if she says "no" I'll become a homosexual.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very amusing post :) I have nothing insightful to say- just wanted to let you know someone was reading, and that I agree :)
I didn't know you kept a blog, but thanks to gmail away messages now I do!

Anonymous said...

Our Republic will lose its civic apathy as soon as enough of its population becomes discontent with their economic potential. Becoming informed on policy issues requires time and concerted effort. Why do that when nothing about the current system really, *really* bothers you, and you could otherwise spend that time with family, enhancing your career, on hobbies you're passionate about, etc.? I speculate that your average citizen just doesn't see enough return on becoming involved. If they or many of their immediate peers are layed off, foreclosed on etc. then they'll have incentive to examine their society and take action. But it will take a major disruption to their lifestyle.

Oh, and Bambi got a lot of kids to examine their mortality. Epic Movie might have been more on point ;-)

Matt said...

I know which pony you're riding in this race, and I echo your disgust of 'fair-weather' and uninformed voters, but surely you can't refute the fact that of the 3 campaigns left, hers has used the most political dirty tricks. I mean, come on, which candidate has lied about supporting nafta, gunfire in serbia, about years of experience. Don't worry, I'm not voting for McCain, but I will certainly think twice before casting a ballot for Hillary.

I agree with Eric in that economic change will drive political, and then socetial change. We are certainly at a 'cultural inflection point' - see article I sent you a month or two ago, and seeing where the course goes from here will be a fascinating one.

I worry about what happens when Americans lose their civic apathy, and what type of disruption it will take "in this post 9/11 world" (I hate that phrase).

The specter that frightens me is the direction of that eventual change. Will it truly be a revolution of progression or some neocon directed revolution of regression?kcgh

Jason Roselander said...

We may just have to agree to disagree, but I think both campaigns have behaved more or less the same, but one of them gets a halo from the media and the other one gets devil horns. I'll leave the details of who got shot at and who promised to run a publicly financed campaign to a drunken, Smash bros-fueled debate.

I agree with you and Eric about why people aren't engaged. They don't see the link between elections and what's happening in their day-to-day lives. The sad thing is that if they would get off their asses and care before they're forced to, we might avoid the crunch that's going to lead to major reform.

My guess is that there will be some kind of New "new deal" to try to prevent the next depression. Greater regulation of lending perhaps?

j said...

actually the naive politico might actually just want a regime change. we've had bush->clinton->bush so far.... if we do another clinton, it's pretty much the same ideologies over the past decades rehashed again. obama and mccain would be something fresh. they both represent something really different. if you ignore rove being on mccain's team and focus on his track record, there's a chance that mccain would be a good boat rocker if he gets in office. disclosure: i wanted ron paul, but he's not in.... so, i'm a conscientious objector... heh. :)

Matthieu said...

It's not just Obamaniacs who are threatening to vote McCain if Obama doesn't get the nomination. Hillary supporters are just as bad, if not worse.

According to the Pew Research Center, 25% of Hillary supporters say that they will vote for McCain, or just not vote, if Obama gets the nomination. On the other hand, only 10% of Obama voters say they will vote for McCain if Hillary gets the nod.

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=1254